Monday, March 9, 2009

My Stance on Euthanasia

Euthanasia:
1.
Also called mercy killing. the act of putting to death painlessly or allowing to die, as by withholding extreme medical measures, a person or animal suffering from an incurable, esp. a painful, disease or condition.
2.
painless death.

You may wonder why I put the definition of euthanasia as my opening . I want you to notice that one of the definitions is "painless death." This is the reason I support "mercy killing." A person that suffers unbearable pain should have the option to end their life if they do not want to live with the pain. Mercy killing is not a radical way to end a person's life, because once again as we reference back to the definition of euthanasia, it is a "painless death." People who practice euthanasia are not putting people to death by shooting them or starving them. They are allowing them to die peacefully. I would like it to be conceivable that we are allowed to control our deaths if we find that death is a way to relieve our own extreme pain. I think that if there was a ban on mercy killing, a lot of people that are in extreme pain would continue to suffer and not get the peaceful death that they want. Isn't it only practical that we allow a person to choose to die if that is what they feel is the best option. Of course people in a vegetative state really do not have the choice to be put off of life support, but I believe that if family members or people in their best interest think that ending that person's life would be the best option, it should be allowed. Of course there should be a rigorous evaluation and no hasty decisions should be made, until it is final that taking a person off life support is absolutely and with no doubts, the best option. If a person had expressed before they were in a state where they cannot communicate with others, such as a coma, that they wanted to be put to death rather than be kept on life support, they should get their wish, but again, only after a revaluation of the circumstances of the case is reviewed. Euthanasia is the easiest way for a person to move onto the afterlife peacefully and at ease, which is why I support it.

2 comments:

Jesus said...

I agree with what your saying about euthanasia. A person has a right to die if it ends their suffering. It would be better if people died peacefully rather than living through such awful pain.

Paul said...

I agree with what you say about when euthanasia should be okay. I also think that people in a vegetative condition should be euthanized if the person will not recover or if they can recover, but will most likely have disabilities that will cause them severe physical or mental suffering. Otherwise, the person should be given a chance to recover because even if the chance to recover is very low, it is still possible that they will come out of their vegetative state. Also, if a person is suffering too much and they say that they want to be euthanized, then I believe that it is okay for them to be euthanized. That way, they can be liberated from their pain.