Monday, November 3, 2008

Hiroshima








1) The picture to the left is the Hiroshima Industrial Dome, which was about 200 meters away from the hypo center. That means since it was so close to the center, the city must have been destroyed really bad. I can tell that there was a lot of people in the city and in the buildings and it makes me sad to know that SO many died. The city looks really peaceful and the water and boats are beautiful. The buildings are also nicely built and it hurts to think that in a second, so much destruction happened. When I look at this picture, I feel that the US made a huge mistake when they dropped the atomic bomb on such a lovely place.


2) This picture, taken after the bombing of Hiroshima, brings a heavy sorrow to me. My heart can not even grasp what the people were thinking if they saw the bomb falling from the sky. I believe that no one should be killed in such a violent way and this picture helps me make that belief even stronger. The picture to the right shows a 400-year old town, which was developed and made beautifully, destroyed in a matter of seconds. The picture also helps me feel horrified at the actions of the US military. How could they turn a seemingly wonderful town and it's residents into a total wasteland?



3.) The picture to the left is of a victim of the atomic bombing in Hiroshima. When I look into his eyes, I see a man full of sadness and wonderment, thinking "Why was I a victim?" I can also see his body is scarred and he has no hair. The picture makes me feel very sad that thousands of people who survived the atomic bomb had to go through so much suffering devastation. Not only were their families torn apart, they had to go through discrimination because they were different. The picture makes me feel a bit sick that anyone could be tortured so much. Another emotion that I feel is gratitude. I'm grateful that I will probably never have to go through such a thing. While I am glad that I will not have to go through such a thing, I am sad that so many people had to die.

4.) The picture to the left is telling me that a once beautiful town is now left with skeletons of the past. The victim is showing through the sketch the results of the atomic bombing. I feel sad that a once blossoming town had to be destroyed along with all it's residents. I think now, seeing how a person feels about the bombing, that the bomb was horrific AND life changing to everyone who lived through this terrible ordeal. I also feel that seeing a town that took 400-years to create destroyed and made into the picture to the right is horrible. I feel great sympathy for the person who drew this. To see their home destroyed makes me feel awful. Their home contained their memories and loved ones and now it's gone. To lose your loved ones and your home in a matter of seconds.

No comments: